Door sidelight blinds – Roller shade table.
Door Sidelight Blinds
- A sidelight is a window, usually with a vertical emphasis, that flanks a door. Sidelights are narrow, usually stationary and found immediately adjacent doorways.Barr, Peter. “”, 19th Century Adrian Architecture, accessed June 17, 2009.””, Community Partnership Center, accessed June 17, 2009.
- A ship’s port (red) and starboard (green) navigation lights
- light carried by a boat that indicates the boat’s direction; vessels at night carry a red light on the port bow and a green light on the starboard bow
- A light placed at the side of something
- A piece of incidental information that helps to clarify or enliven a subject
- A light found at the side of something; especially of a vehicle; A window found at one or both sides of a door
- Deprive (someone) of understanding, judgment, or perception
- Confuse or overawe someone with something difficult to understand
- Cause (someone) to be unable to see, permanently or temporarily
- The blinds are forced bets posted by players to the left of the dealer button in flop-style poker games. The number of blinds is usually two, but can be one or three.
- window coverings, especially vertical blinds, wood blinds, roller blinds, pleated blinds
- A window blind is a type of window covering which is made with slats of fabric, wood, plastic or metal that adjust by rotating from an open position to a closed position by allowing slats to overlap. A roller blind does not have slats but comprises a single piece of material.
- A doorway
- doorway: the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close; “he stuck his head in the doorway”
- A hinged, sliding, or revolving barrier at the entrance to a building, room, or vehicle, or in the framework of a cupboard
- anything providing a means of access (or escape); “we closed the door to Haitian immigrants”; “education is the door to success”
- a swinging or sliding barrier that will close the entrance to a room or building or vehicle; “he knocked on the door”; “he slammed the door as he left”
- Used to refer to the distance from one building in a row to another
door sidelight blinds – Lot of
Duffield Street Houses
Erected between c.1835 and 1847. these four houses are unusually intact survivors from the early nineteenth century residential neighborhood that once flourished on the blocks east of Brooklyn’s civic center. In contrast to wealthier Brooklyn Heights and the working class district near the Navy Yard, this neighborhood evolved between the late 1820s and 1840s as a upper middle-class enclave and remained downtown Brooklyn’s leading middle-class neighborhood throughout the nineteenth century.
Moved two blocks to their present site in 1990, these houses were originally located on Johnson Street between Bridge and Lawrence Streets on one of several blocks developed by Rev. Samuel Roosevelt Johnson, who had inherited a portion of his grandfather’s colonial-era farm. Three of the houses were constructed by Johnson; No. 184 was erected in 1847 as an investment property by merchant Francis Chichester.
Nos. 182, 184, and 186 display aspects of the Greek Revival style. No. 186 is especially noteworthy as one of the few surviving row houses in the city with a free-standing Greek Revival portico. No. 188, an 1830s house remodeled in the early 1880s, is ornamented with a combination of Queen Anne and Second Empire elements including an elaborate bracketed porch hood. During the nineteenth century and early twentieth century, these houses were occupied by merchants, lawyers, brokers, engineers, teachers, builders, and shipmasters.
Residents included surveyor John S. Stoddard, credited with laying out the streets in many of the older sections of Brooklyn, who owned No. 188 in the 1850s and early 1860s, and teacher Helen Lawrence who conducted a private school in No. 182 from the mid-1850s through the mid-1870s. The houses remained in residential use through the 1980s. They were moved to their present site as part of the MetroTech redevelopment plan in 1990. Today they survive as a significant reminder of the history of downtown Brooklyn and of the evolution of Brooklyn’s middle-class residential architecture.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
Early Brooklyn and the Johnson Estate
In the mid-eighteenth century the village of Brooklyn was a small hamlet centered around the highway (modern-day Fulton Street) and the ferry that linked the farming communities of western Long Island with New York City. In 1755, Barent Johnson, a prosperous farmer of Dutch descent, purchased a pie-shaped tract of land of about forty acres which extended from the highway to Wallabout Creek (near present-day Navy Street) between present day Willoughby and Tillary Streets.
Barent Johnson died in 1777 of wounds he received fighting on the American side during the Battle of Long Island." Johnson left his property in trust for his orphaned nine-year-old son, John Barent Johnson. John Barent Johnson attended Columbia College and became a minister in the Dutch Reformed Church.3 In 1803, Rev. Johnson and his wife Elizabeth Lupton Johnson became ill and died with a few months of one another. They left three young children who were raised by Elizabeth Johnson’s half-brother, Peter Roosevelt, an Episcopalian minister at Newtown.
Both of the Johnsons’ sons, William Lupton Johnson (1800-1870) and Samuel Roosevelt Johnson (1802-1873), attended Columbia and became Episcopalian ministers. Their daughter, Maria Laidlie Johnson (1798-182?), married Rev. Evan M. Johnson, an Episcopalian minister from Rhode Island who served as curate at Newtown from 1814 to 1826. In 1823, when Samuel Roosevelt Johnson, the youngest of the three Johnson heirs, reached the age of majority, the heirs entered into a partition agreement to divide their Brooklyn property which was subdivided into city blocks and lots.
By that time the village of Brooklyn was growing rapidly due to the opening of the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1801 and the introduction of steam ferry service between Fulton Street in Manhattan and Fulton Street in Brooklyn in 1814.
The village was incorporated in 1816 and in 1819 began an ambitious program to map and improve its streets. The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 brought increased growth to Brooklyn. New warehouses were built along the Brooklyn waterfront and new factories were erected on the outskirts of the village; a thriving commercial district developed along Fulton Street.
The new opportunities for employment brought many new residents to the area. At the same time the expansion of New York City’s downtown commercial district led many businessmen who had formerly made their homes in Lower Manhattan to look to Brooklyn for convenient suburban residences. A wave of speculative residential building began. At first, most of the new houses were concentrated in Brooklyn Heights and in the neighborhood around the Navy Yard. In the late 1820s and 1830s, however, the heirs to the farms east of Fulton Street began to develop their property.
By 1834, Brooklyn had a population of 24,310 and was incor
This two-and-one-half-story, five-bay, clapboard-covered house is the most impressive mid-nineteenth-century residence surviving in Richmondtown, the historic governmental center of Staten Island. Built around 1857 for Daniel Lake Stephens, a prosperous "gentleman," the house is located on the largest residential building lot in the village of Richmondtown and has frontages on Richmond Road, Center Street, and St. Patrick’s Place. Symmetrical in design, the house has identical facades on Center Street and Richmond Road.
Its transitional design incorporates Greek Revival and Italianate elements and features projecting columned porches and molded entrance surrounds with narrow sidelights and transoms. Large tripartite windows emphasize the center bay at the second story and all the windows have decorative surrounds. The building is capped by a continuous bracketed cornice and a distinctive cross-gabled roof with shallow pediments pierced by lunette windows.
After Daniel Lake Stephens’ death in 1866, the house was occupied by several members of the Stephens family, notably Judge Stephen D. Stephens, Jr., a successful lawyer who served as the Richmond County Judge and Surrogate for three decades. In 1886 it was acquired by James E. Prier, a butcher. The Prier family owned the house until 1926 and again between 1931 and 1946. Since 1991, the house has been owned by the City of New York and now houses the administrative offices of Historic Richmond Town.
The Development of Richmondtown’
Richmond County, encompassing all of Staten Island, was established in 1683 as one of the twelve original counties of New York, with Stony Brook, now Egbertville, its official county seat. Previously, the residents of Staten Island had relied on the Court of Sessions at Gravesend, Brooklyn, for the administration of laws, while the center of political activity on the island was at Oude Dorp, near the present South Beach.
In 1711, the county government built a prison in the tiny village of Coccles Town. This was considered a superior location for conducting governmental business due to its location at the island’s geographical center, near the converging of roads leading to all parts of the island and at the head of the navigable Fresh Kills. In 1729, Coccles Town was officially chosen to be the new county seat and was renamed Richmondtown. A new county court house was constructed there that year.
British troops occupied Richmondtown during the Revolutionary War, establishing quarters in many of the village’s buildings, burning the court house and other buildings upon their departure. Little development occurred during the next thirty years; however, a second county courthouse was constructed on Arthur Kill Road in 1793.
Richmondtown began to grow around 1800 and was incorporated as a village within the Town of Southfield in 1823. By 1828 the First County Clerk’s and Surrogate’s Office was constructed to the east of the jail. The hotel, Richmond County Hall, was built around 1829 and soon became a popular gathering place for political and social events. The town’s first public school opened about 1830.
Sensing the development potential of the town, Henry I. Seaman, a New York merchant who was secretary of the company that operated the plank road (later Richmond Avenue), purchased ninety acres of farmland to the east of the town center in 1836. Seaman had the land laid out into two new streets, Center Street and Court Place, and 25′ by 100′ building lots.
A large plot on Center Street opposite Court Place was set aside for the construction of a new courthouse (the Third County Courthouse, now the Historic Richmond Town Visitors Center, built 1837, a designated New York City Landmark). Seaman also built several houses, known as "Seaman Cottages," and sold two corner lots to Austin Burke and Stephen D. Stephens, Sr., a cousin of Daniel Lake Stephens, who constructed
their own residences
. Due to the financial panic of 1837 Seaman was forced to sell his Richmondtown property, which eventually passed to Harmon Cropsey in 1854.4 During the 1840s, the village continued to expand, in part because of the construction of a new stone bridge over Fresh Kills Creek at the junction of Richmond Road and Arthur Kills Road.
The Washington Hotel was also built around 1840, on a site just north of the stone bridge, and around 1845 Isaac Marsh began construction of a carriage manufactory opposite the hotel. The Second County Clerk’s and Surrogate’s Office and a jail were constructed in 1848 and 1860, respectively. By the mid-nineteenth century, Richmondtown’s position as the political and social center of the island was secure. The Stephens-Prier House, the Parsonage (1855) and the Edwards-Barton House (1869) are the most significant residential survivors of this expansive and prosperous period of the village’s development.
The Stephens Family and the Early History of the Steph